Monday, April 13, 2009

Sexy Vegpires

Okay, so I'm a little behind the times anymore with movies. The only time I've been to a movie theater recently has been to see the recordings of the Metropolitan Operas with my mom. I'm an opera freak, I listen to it constantly and actually studied and trained in classical voice for years. So, needless to say, as hot as Robert Pattinson looked as Edward Cullen (two very new names to my ears last year-told you I'm not in the loop!) I just never got to the theater to see it. So, yesterday was Easter. Mom and I usually don't do much on holidays if my brother and his kids aren't coming around so we ordered a pizza (half cheeseless for me) and rented Twilight on her new fangled TV system thing. I can barely run a DVD player to save my life so I still am baffled at how she can click a button on her remote control and freeze live TV and even more-rent a movie without going to the rental shop! It's amazing.

I really admire the fact that they put some effort into making the character Bella appear vegetarian. Now, I haven't read the books (though they are most certainly on my list now) so I'm not sure if she is actually a vegetarian or not but I just think that it would be fantastic if she is one. I also enjoyed the slight humor in that the strikingly beautiful family of Cullens considered themselves "vegetarian" vampires because they only drank animal blood. Not the most appealing opening shot of a deer getting chased down but still, I have a dark humor and I'm also able to laugh at myself and my own ideals sometimes so I had a chuckle. Mom looked at me sideways to see how I would react though because usually I'm pretty squeemish when it comes to animals being killed in front of my eyes but I handled it well.

I want to be a sexy Vegpire and live forever if it could mean living with Robert's beautiful face near mine... if he were vegan of course.



Alongside of being vegan, I'm also a super stickler on natural health and natural cures for what ails you. Being raised by a hippie who gave me tofu for my finger food in my highchair and never having seen a cake mix until age 12 would kind of do that to a girl. I've sort of turned into my friends' "natural know-it-all". And, if I don't know it, I'll be darned if I can't find it out. I've had a few friends ask me recently about allergies. Seeing that Spring is upon us means two things for me- 1) my heat bill will go down and 2) my allergies will kick in. Since I went strict vegan, I have been able to get over my allergies to cats so far. As I mentioned before, I was horribly allergic to felines. Just looking at them made my nose itch and my eyes water. But, since having gone strict... like borderline millitant vegan a few months ago (remember, I've been vegtarian for years but still did dairy and eggs) I have been able to pick up my friend's gorgeous little orange fluff ball and practically rub his fur in my face and not have to stifle one sniffle because of it. For some weird reason, dairy caused a deficiancy in my system to be able to hold up to feline dander. I don't know what it did but it did it. I haven't had a drop of milk since approx early February and I've been fine.

As for seasonal allergies, I'm not sure what going vegan has done for those yet. I'll know as soon as the flowers start blooming and the fields start filling up. Central Pennsylvania has a plethora of farm lands with tons of different stuff growing in it so you can drive a few miles and see five or six different crops growing. I'm going to gather a list of all the natural remedies I've found have worked for my allergies through the years and share my findings. They will all, of course, be vegan and most likely herbs and supplements you can find in a local health food store (like mine).

Allergy post coming soon. And, I think I need to watch Twilight again.

3 comments:

  1. arent those products amazing !!!!!

    I love twilight... the books are way better though
    bring on the allergy post.. my life is consumed with allergies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so awesome that your improved diet helped kick your allergic reactions to cats! we are what we eat, after all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the whole Twilight thing was *yawn* overrated. But I haven't read the books.

    ReplyDelete